a sisterlocks journey

(a sisterlocks journey)

text links



Read the very first post on this blog ~~~ "Pledging the Sisterlocks Sorority"

Looking for Sisterlocks Photos? ***CLICK HERE***



Beautiful People Who Follow My Blog...

Beautiful People Who Follow My Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dr. JoAnne Cornwell speaks at the Inaugural Meeting of the Atlanta Sisterlocks Meetup Group

What a great meeting!

Amba organized a wonderful and wildly successful Atlanta Sisterlocks event. We all gathered in the Airport Holiday Inn, to fellowship, laugh and learn.

As an aside, when I parked my car outside of the hotel, I heard the radio announcer say that another tornado was seen heading east on I-20 toward midtown. Below are photos taken after the tornado that hit Atlanta the night before.


My boys and I were in a Border's Bookstore in midtown when the tornado hit. We couldn't leave the store to get to our car because the rain and hail was falling as though it was being shot out of a firehose! We were just north of the CNN / Centennial Park area.


But back to the topic at hand...

Dr. Cornwell is a joy. She's so real. She began by reading a poem entitled I Need a Name. Then she shared her personal struggles with "that hair thing." She told us about her early experiences with sisterlocks and told us about some exciting new things that are coming soon from sisterlocks. Finally, she demonstrated the technique of "threading" hair, by using locs from her own gorgeous mane!

Dr. Cornwell's flowing mane of sisterlocks

Dr. Cornwell demonstrating the threading technique

I could have kicked myself when I realized that I had forgotten my camera. I had to buy a disposable camera from the hotel shop. Sadly, the photo of me with Dr. Cornwell came out too dark. I guess that means I'll have to attend the sisterlocks homecoming to take another photo with her!

Here are some photos from the event. I am looking forward to future meetings with these beautiful and grounded women!


Calla, Master Sisterlocks Stylist (yes, those are sisterlocks!)

Raheemah was one of Calla's models
A shot of Raheemah's coil and curls from the back

Gracious and soft spoken, Amba, the Atlanta Sisterlocks Meetup Group organizer, with her cute daughters!
I was one of the newbies.

Everyone tried to guess how many babylocs I have. Someone guessed 600. I hope not. I'll count them...someday.

4 comments:

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

I am so glad that you made it safely there and back and that the Atlanta gathering was able to go on!
Looks like you had a wonderful time an I am also considering going to the Homecoming in San Diego this July. Hopefully I will meet you there!

Naturally Sophia said...

Very nice blog. Sorry we did not get a chance to speak. I look forward to seeing you next time. Your locks looked great!

SeZ said...

I've said before that each person looks so lovely. It looks like a wonderful time. Your newbies look great.

Lakia said...

It definitely looks like everyone had a wonderful time. Everyone locks looked so pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...