a sisterlocks journey

(a sisterlocks journey)

text links



Read the very first post on this blog ~~~ "Pledging the Sisterlocks Sorority"

Looking for Sisterlocks Photos? ***CLICK HERE***



Beautiful People Who Follow My Blog...

Beautiful People Who Follow My Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Just Do You!

STI made a comment on this blog that contained a question that I thought I would post along with my response, because it made me consciously consider how my hair and my hair story may be judged by other naturals.

STI said...
Your hair looks amazing! Do you know when you will be ready to chop? I don't know when I will be ready. It seems like its very far away from now though.

How have people been towards you on this?

Docs Locs said...
Hi STI. No overt hostility.

People are all over the map about natural hair and sisterlocks in general. You will hear some people talk about the fact that they have never had a perm and have been natural all of their lives with great pride and flourish. If I were a little less secure, undertones of 'lifelong natural hair' snobbery, might bother me :o)

For me, in a world dominated by a Eurogentile esthetic, 'life long natural hair' IS a cause for pride! If you've read my hair story, I talk about how I wimped out when I went corporate after being natural for over a decade!

On the other hand, a couple of months ago, I had my first taste of sisterlocks envy, when a sister who had traditional locs overheard me tell someone that I had sisterlocks and promptly corrected me by saying, "they're LOCS!" (as opposed to sisterlocks, that is).

Even my interpretation of her comment is biased, as I am sure that she interpreted my use of the term 'sisterlocks' as ‘sisterlocks snobbery’!

My advice: JUST DO YOU.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just now seeing this response! Thank you! lol! Wow, I guess it really can go either way. I'm still truly surprised by sisterlock snobbery and then the debate between traditional locs and sisterlocks. I was kind of letting it get to me at first, but then I realized how easy they have made my life and how they have really helped me to stay on course to becoming 100% natural. At this point, no one can tell me anything to make me believe I made the wrong choice! Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...